The Minecraft world is a huge place filled with caves and other locations to explore. When exploring, it’s always safer to go with friends!
Build your team
- Assemble a group of players
- Choose roles and gather the appropriate items (See end of post for a list of possible player roles)
- Decide how to handle loot gathered. Is it a free-for-all or is everyone splitting loot evenly? What items are considered loot? How do you handle extra items that can’t be divided equally?
Step into the unknown
- Decide where to go. Are you searching out a specific biome? Or a deep cave? Or a water temple?
- When you get to the location, establish a base camp. Private chests, beds, crafting tables, and furnaces are all useful to have. Make sure it’s well-lit and secure from monsters! A shallow cave makes a great start for a base camp.
Grab the loot
- When delving into the location, try to stick together as a group. Remember to communicate frequently!
- Place torches on the right-hand walls only, then, when you turn around, you can follow the left-hand torches to find your way back! Use floor torches for non-navigational lighting.
- If you have a treasurer, be sure to hand off your loot frequently so he or she can keep it safe.
- Head back to base camp frequently to resupply and stash valuables.
- Be sure to split the loot and stash it any time a player joins or leaves the adventure. Any loot collected from that point on then gets split with the new group.
Supplemental Information on Player Roles
The Fighter: Someone who wears a lot of armor and wields a sword. This person jumps into the front lines in a fight, absorbing damage and pushing monsters back.
- Diamond sword, enchanted if possible
- Iron or diamond armor with enchantments
- Potions of strength, healing
The Archer: Someone who has good archery skills, carries lots of arrows, and preferably has a nice enchantment on their bow (Power I-IV is great). Can keep the group safe from distant foes.
- Bow, enchanted if possible
- At least a stack of arrows
- Leather or iron armor
The Alchemist: Someone who carries a variety of potions to help the group in different situations. Try to get splash potions for combat use! Your primary objective is healing damaged group members.
- Splash potions of health, regeneration, run speed, night vision, leaping, harming
The Engineer: An expert at various utility items in Minecraft that can help the group navigate the environment.
- Ladders (for traveling up)
- Gravel or sand (for traveling down or filling lava pools)
- Water bucket (extinguishing lava, traveling down)
- Ender pearls
- Odd potions, such as water breathing or invisibility
- Feather falling boots
The Treasurer: A good survivor who holds onto all the loot the group receives. It’s the treasurer’s job to collect loot, stay safe, and split the loot equally between all players. A fortune pickaxe can increase the amount of loot gained. Avoid creepers and lava at all costs!
- Iron or diamond armor with enchantments (explosion protection!)
- Fortune pickaxe